After taking a year off, the multifaceted MondoCon is back in full force. Along with a host of exhibitors, artists, panels, and food trucks, a marquee event will be the 4K restoration of Sam Raimi’s classic The Evil Dead with a rescore by the film’s original composer, Joseph LoDuca. An added bonus: The composer and his ensemble will perform sections of the score live before the film.
MondoCon 2019, which takes place on Sept. 14 and 15 at the Palmer Events Center in downtown Austin, marks the event’s fifth year. Vehlinggo be there to cover it. Fans of everything Mondo-related, including their Mondo/Death Waltz vinyl, visual art, games, toys, and comics are in for a full-on sensory experience: there will be all of that and plenty of food to go with it. Scores of exhibitors will have booths at MondoCon, including Burning Witches Records, which will have some sweet limited-edition vinyl for sale.
Austin is a food town. The offerings will be from local favorites, including Southside Pizza, Peached Tortilla, and Lucky Lab Coffee, and Con Beer 2019, this year’s limited-edition collaboration with Austin Beerworks. Mondo plus food = yes.
About the new The Evil Dead I mentioned earlier: MondoCon is hosting the world premiere of the Grindhouse Releasing version of the film in 4K. In addition to LoDuca returning with a new approach, Marti Humphrey and Jussi Tegelman bring on a new 5.1 surround mix — you might recognize those names from their work on the sound crew for on Raimi properties Drag Me to Hell and Ash Vs. Evil Dead. Mondo/Death Waltz will be releasing the new score on vinyl. As mentioned, LoDuca and crew will help build some foreboding with a live pre-show performance.
MondoCon attendees will get first dibs at some amazing new Mondo stuff, including Marvel Studios’ Black Panther (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) triple LP and posters for Ghostbusters, The Dark Crystal, The Last Jedi, and so much more.
- Underscore: A Soundtrack Panel. Join Mo Shafeek and Spencer Hickman from the Mondo Music Group (Mondo/Death Waltz), as they discuss how they approach creating new artwork for soundtrack reissues from concept to completion. They will be joined on stage by Jon Dobyns, founder of anime label Tiger Lab Vinyl, and artist Alan Hynes, who will be discussing his artistic process designing record packages for Mondo. Be on the lookout for new title announcements and some teases of forthcoming artwork. After a 60-minute panel discussion, the floor will be open to audience questions.
- Canadian Horror Roundtable. The Mondo roster of artists who are into horror runs deep. This discussion featureds Gary Pullin, Paige Reynolds, and Justin Erickson of Phantom City Creative; Randy Ortiz; Sara Deck; Matty Ryan Tobin; and Jason Edmiston. Mark Brickey of Adventures In Design will host it.
- Draplin Design Co: Things That Don’t Have a Thing To Do with Graphic Design. According to the press release: “As a graphic designer, I’m lucky to make things for all kinds of things. But more and more, I’m realizing the profound impact it has on the things in the rest of my life. Things in my backyard. Things that hold things. Things for my nephew. And things on one of the saddest days of my life. That’s a lot of things. Plus, we’ll update you on all the things we’ve been up to, aside from all those other things. Tons of new things!”
- MondoCon Spotlight: Greg Ruth. Sit fireside with Greg Ruth as he discusses his storied artistic career. Focusing on his work produced for Mondo, including his brilliant output for Twin Peaks, Ruth shares his process and a surprise or two. The creative team behind Mondo’s posters — hosts Mitch Putnam, Eric Garza, and Rob Jones — “helm a spelunking adventure through the mind caverns of a master,” according to the press release.
- Live Draw. Ever wonder how a poster comes together? Come watch as Daniel Danger, Matt Taylor, and Jock collaborate live and in-person to design a movie poster right in front of you. The audience will have the opportunity to choose a title and then witness (and participate in) the creative process from start to basically finish.
- Mondo Talk. Jones, Putnam, and Garza discuss and share insights behind the process of putting together a Mondo poster. The panel will include a presentation of alternate concepts and directions, commentary behind some of the biggest releases of the year, and the opportunity to vote on direction for an upcoming Mondo poster. Do not use your phone during this one, lest you want to be booted.
- Art of Toy Making. A behind-the-scenes look at the Mondo collectibles with the toys/collectibles team, Brock Otterbacher, Michael Bonanno, Hector Arce, Aaron White, and some special guests. This panel will give you insight into the toy-making process, a first look at some upcoming releases, as well as prizes and other toy-related fun.
Tickets for the day’s panels will be issued at the panel hall entrance when doors open on Saturday and Sunday. Tickets will be for one per person and will guarantee entrance into the respective panel up until it starts. Once it begins, MondoCon will be filling seats from a standby line that will start forming 30 minutes prior to each panel.
There will be screenings on Friday (Sept. 13), Saturday (Sept. 14), and Sunday (Sept. 15), including films like Scott Pilgrim and There Will Be Blood. More information is here. Tickets will go on sale Friday, Sept. 6, at 12 p.m. Central Time with a limit of two tickets per person, per screening. In the interest of fairness to MondoCon attendees, the ticket pages will only be accessible via a link that is emailed out to all MondoCon ticket holders. Screening attendees must have both a ticket to that screening and a MondoCon wristband for that day. (Two-Day for Friday and Saturday screenings, and Two-Day or Sunday-Only for Sunday showings).
Bring some money. There will be much to purchase by way of MondoCon exclusives! Here are some of the exhibitors:
- Burning Witches Records
- Enjoy The Ride Records
- Arrow Video
- Vinegar Syndrome
- Cadabra Record
- Death Waltz Records
- Keymaster Games
- Skybound Games
- Pandasaurus Games
- Restoration Games
- Tiger Lab Vinyl
How To Get Tickets
MondoCon Two-Day and Sunday-Only tickets are available now.