The soundtrack to beloved Netflix sitcom BoJack Horseman comes out tomorrow (and so does Season 4). To celebrate this today, Vehlinggo premieres the dreamy, aquatic synth cue “Baby Seahorse and Convenience Store,” one of the best tracks from Jesse Novak’s score. (Super fans of the show will recognize the cue in a heartbeat.)
The cut comes from Season 3’s award-winning “underwater” episode, “Fish Out of Water,” which AV Club said was “nothing short of a masterpiece.” That often funny, sometimes heartbreaking episode is a Vehlinggo favorite in a show that is itself on heavy rotation at Vehlinggo headquarters. Lakeshore Records will release the soundtrack digitally tomorrow, Friday, Sept. 8, on CD on Sept. 29, and with vinyl to follow soon.
Experience the track below.
Novak is a composer, producer, and multi-instrumentalist who, in addition to his work for BoJack, is also currently composing the score for The Mindy Project. He has written the main title music for Superstore, Adam Ruins Everything, and others.
Prior to his work as a TV composer, he contributed as a musician and engineer to recordings from artists such as MIA and Vampire Weekend, and released music under the name Tugboat.
“Writing the music for this show is fun for so many reasons,” Novak says in a statement. “Making animation feel real and emotionally resonant, hitting the right tone to parody certain genres and pop-cultural aspects of music, and using timing to enhance a gag are just a few of the challenges that I love. It’s also tremendously entertaining for me to work on a show that pokes fun at show business.”
Executive producer Noel Bright lauded Novak’s work in a statement.
“Jesse is equally comfortable punching a funny scene with a silly note and scoring a sad scene with a heartbreaking melody,” Bright says. “His music elevates every moment of each episode.”
BoJack has an all-star cast: Will Arnett (as BoJack himself), Amy Sedaris, Alison Brie, Paul F. Tompkins, and Aaron Paul. The show takes place in a world in which humans and anthropomorphic animals coexist. (You can watch it on Netflix right now. I mean, right now. Go do it. You’ll be pleased.)
‘BoJack Horseman’ Tracklist:
The BoJack Horseman soundtrack features the iconic main title track by Patrick Carney, and the irresistible closing theme by Grouplove. Michelle Branch, Oberhofer, Nina Simone and original songs and score by Jesse Novak are also featured. The album was produced and music-supervised by Andy Gowan.
The entire B-side of the album is the synthesizer-driven score for “Fish Out of Water,” along with Brooklyn-based indie pop band Oberhofer’s contribution to that episode. Lakeshore Records is releasing the album.
1. “BoJack’s Theme (feat. Ralph Carney)” – Patrick Carney
2. “Horsin’ Around Theme” – Jesse Novak
3. “A Horse With No Name (feat. Michelle Branch)” – Patrick Carney
4. “Mr. Peanutbutter’s House Theme” – Jesse Novak
5. “I Will Always Think Of You” – Jane Krakowski and Colman Domingo
6. “Get Dat Fetus Kill Dat Fetus (feat. Daniele Gaither & Manus Dunbar)” – Jesse Novak
7. “Kyle and The Kids (feat. Carrick Moore Gerety)” – Jesse Novak
8. “Stars (Live at Montreux)” – Nina Simone
9. “Back In The 90’s” – Grouplove
10. “BoJack’s Theme (Full Length) [feat. Ralph Carney]” – Patrick Carney
11. “Seaport” – Jesse Novak
12. “Hallway” – Jesse Novak
13. “Kelsey Apology” – Jesse Novak
14. “Chasing Kelsey” – Jesse Novak
15. “Seahorse Birth” – Jesse Novak
16. “Post Birth” – Jesse Novak
17. “Baby Seahorse and Convenience Store” – Jesse Novak
18. “Shark Chase” – Jesse Novak
19. “Darkness and Tunnel” – Jesse Novak
20. “Fan Section” – Jesse Novak
21. “Factory” – Jesse Novak
22. “Flying” – Jesse Novak
23. “Seahorse Reunion” – Jesse Novak
24. “Final Kelsey Pursuit” – Jesse Novak
25. “Sea of Dreams” – Oberhofer