Massive news for Italians Do It Better fans out there: Chromatics have released a new single, “Time Rider,” and announced a North American tour with labelmates Desire and In Mirrors. Read on for all the glorious information. 2019 is so sick.
“Time Rider” — listed at one point as a track on Dear Tommy, the long-awaited followup to Kill For Love — is an engaging and meditative dark disco number of a caliber you’d expect from Ruth Radelet, Johnny Jewel, Adam Miller, and Nat Walker. The video, directed by Chromatics, is a colorfully hypnotic visual experience centered on Radelet, the band’s talented and captivating frontwoman. I see it as a mesmerizing and psychedelic extension of the cinematic night-driving concepts they tapped into more than a decade ago.
From the press release: In “Time Rider,” Chromatics employ the metaphor of a motorcycle as an inter-dimensional bridge between the future and the past. In this dream, the motorcyclist mirrors myths of the grim reaper as Ruth Radelet eerily asks, “Can I take your hand? I want to ride with you into the storm.”
‘Double Exposure’ Tour
The Double Exposure Tour will feature Chromatics’ first public performances in five years. Joining them is Desire (famous for “Under Your Spell” from Drive) and In Mirrors, the label’s cinematic minimal wave/post-punk/krautrock act, fronted by Jesse Taylor, and whom longtime Vehlinggo readers will recognize.
“Visually, the entire night features films directed by Johnny Jewel, mixed live by video artist Danny Perez (Antibirth, Panda Bear),” the press release says. “Bringing a cinematic experience to the concerts, the bands will be blurring the line between stage and screen.”
The last time we saw Chromatics perform was in 2017 on Twin Peaks: The Return, when they graced the Roadhouse at least thrice. Onstage, the group will be playing their favorite moments from Night Drive, Kill For Love, Cherry, and Dear Tommy. Desire (Megan Louise, Jewel, and Walker) are celebrating the 10th anniversary of their debut LP. A lot of you have never seen In Mirrors live — and I highly recommend you experience their magic. Tickets will be on sale February 22 at 10 a.m. Don’t sleep on this.
- 04/30/2019 – The Observatory – Santa Ana, CA
- 05/02/2019 – The Wiltern – Los Angeles, CA
- 05/04/2019 – The Observatory, North Park – San Diego, CA
- 05/07/2019 – Crescent Ballroom – Phoenix, AZ
- 05/09/2019 – Granada Theater – Dallas, TX
- 05/11/2019 – Emo’s – Austin, TX
- 05/12/2019 – White Oak Music Hall – Houston, TX
- 05/13/2019 – Republic NOLA – New Orleans, LA
- 05/15/2019 – Variety Playhouse – Atlanta, GA
- 05/17/2019 – Royale – Boston, MA
- 05/19/2019 – Union Transfer – Philadelphia, PA
- 05/21/2019 – Brooklyn Steel – Brooklyn, NY >
- 05/22/2019 – The 9:30 Club – Washington, DC ^
- 05/24/2019 – Higher Ground – South Burlington, VT
- 05/25/2019 – SAT – Montreal, QC *
- 05/27/2019 – Danforth Music Hall – Toronto, ON *
- 05/28/2019 – Majestic Theater – Detroit
- 05/30/2019 – First Avenue – Minneapolis, MN
- 05/31/2019 – Park West – Chicago, IL
- 06/04/2019 – The Palace – Calgary, AB
- 06/06/2019 – Vogue Theater – Vancouver, BC
- 06/07/2019 – Showbox – Seattle, WA
- 06/08/2019 – Wonder Ballroom – Portland, OR
- 06/11/2019 – Mezzanine – San Francisco, CA
* w/ Tess Roby
> w/ DJ set by Holy Ghost!
^ Tickets on sale Feb. 21 at 10 a.m.
Chromatics have partnered with PLUS1 and $1 from every ticket sold will go towards helping local teachers and classrooms get the supplies and resources they need to deliver the education every child deserves.